Thursday, July 27, 2017

Women in the South Don't Sweat, They Glisten

From 24 July 2017
I found a hill tall enough to see a horizon while we were out tracting one night!



Well hello there!

This week, I did not sweat, I glistened! In fact, I am getting very used to glistening pretty much whenever I am outside. Sadly, I don't have any good pictures to show you, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Especially on the days we have been biking. I don't know how all the oncoming traffic is able to see when we are riding past! That is how bright we glisten in the humid heat! ;)

One morning, we walked out the door to
find a rather large moth sitting on our
 door frame, so Sister Evans decided to remove it.
Probably the most exciting thing that happened this week is that I finally figured out who gave the talk that was a major catalyst in getting me on my mission! It is called "Turn to Him and Answers Will Come" (October 2015 General Conference) and was given by Elder James B. Martino, who just so happens to be the brother of the MTC President, President David C. Martino (who just started as President a few weeks before I got there)! That was pretty cool to figure out, and I am looking forward to recommending that talk to anyone who ever has any questions about any major life decision.

Missionary work has been slow but pretty good here in the Allatoona Ward. Not a whole lot has happened, but Sister Evans and I are working hard to find people to teach and, in the meantime, to practice teaching with members so that we can help people once we find them! Although we haven't been able to teach any investigators, we had a lot of opportunities to do some community service this week, and that really helped me realize the value of serving our fellow man. If there is any single thing that will help you feel better in whatever situation you may be in, it is serving those around you, in whatever small way you can think of. Sometimes giving service is as simple as talking to somebody or even just smiling, but it really does make a HUGE difference in their life and in your own! My initial reaction when I am feeling down has never been to turn outward, but I have come to realize that looking to help others really puts things in perspective for me. Accordingly, I challenge anybody and everybody who reads this to find some small way to serve others this week. You might live with them or they might be a complete stranger, but, trust me, it will brighten your day and theirs! Let me know how it goes. :)

Love,
Sister Houghton
701 Downsby Lane
Apt. 333
Woodstock, GA
30189

Zaxby's (a Southern, chicken-focused restaurant)
has really good water, and the ice left some
cool condensation, so now you get to see a picture of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment