Wednesday, August 2, 2017

I'm NOT a camel?

From 31 July 2017
"You're not a camel."

What a week it has been!

To start things off, we had Zone Conference on Tuesday, and President Marsh told us a little bit more about how we are going to start using Family History more and more in the mission. The highlight of that presentation is that we now get to go to the Temple every quarter instead of just twice a year! However, in order to go, we have to take our own name to do, so we also get to start spending 2 hours a week doing research for our own family trees!

Apparently I'm not a camel. Or so my water bottle said. While we were tracting on Wednesday evening, a kind couple gave Sister Evans and I each a 1 Liter water bottle, and each one had a fun fact (encouraging people to drink water, of course) on it. Mine told me that Im not a camel. I laughed pretty hard and had a fun time drinking that water. :)

The next exciting bit of news is that I got to have surgery on my toe on Friday morning! Fun, right? Yep. I'm not including any pictures in this email, but my mother will have some if you really want to see what it looked like. Basically, I've had an infected ingrown toenail for the past 7 weeks, and this week I finally got it taken care of! They put a whole lot of liquid in my toe to numb it and then took out a nice sliver of toenail, and now my toe feels significantly better and I can walk normally again! I am SO thankful for modern medicine and doctors.

Following my surgery, I went on exchange to Hickory Flat for a day, which was great because it meant I got to miss our heavy biking days. That itself was a tender mercy, because my toe was pretty well mummified and didn't fit in normal shoes, so I was wearing sandals (with permission from the mission nurse). Luckily, the sisters in Hickory Flat have a car to themselves, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Marietta Zone Sisters!
This morning/early afternoon all the sisters in the zone got together for Sisters' Preparation Day. We went bowling at a place called Stars and Strikes and then got pizza at Stevie B.'s (a dangerous place for a pizza lover such as myself!). It was great to unwind a bit and just get to chat with all of my Marietta Zone sisters. As it turns out, none of us are that good at bowling, and I might never go bowling without bumpers again. ;)

End of the exchange: Sister Mugleston, Sister Worlton,
Sister Pierre, Me, and Sister Evans. 
Overall, this week has had a lot going on, and I just want to tack on my witness that Heavenly Father gives us so many opportunities to learn from different people and situations. Time and time again, I think I've got the hang of things, but I am always promptly reminded that I cannot take credit for any single thing that goes right in missionary work, because God really is in charge all the time. It comforts me to know that He won't let me mess up His work. Heavenly Father really never does let any good thing pass us by as long as we are doing our best to be obedient and follow His lead.

Transfers are next week, so in case you are planning on sending me anything, maybe wait a week. Or you can send it to the mission office (that's the address at the bottom today). Do as you will! :)

Love,
Sister Houghton
1150 Cole Dr. SW
Lilburn, GA 30047

Can anybody figure out what my score was?
President Marsh at Zone Conference
(he loves powerpoints, by the way).  

No comments:

Post a Comment