Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Hermana For a Day

From 13 March 2017

Zone Meeting was on Tuesday and we have zone conference tomorrow!



Hey y'all!

Pi day is approaching, and the gas station on our street knows it. :)
As my title suggests, this week, I got to be Hermana Houghton for a day! On Friday morning, Sister Thorn, Hermana Solis, Hermana Rhoton, and I had to go to a trainer/trainee meeting in Lawrenceville with all the other greenies and trainers in the mission. After the meeting, Hermana Rhoton and I got to try Bruster's ice cream for the first time! It was some of the best ice cream I have ever tasted! When we got back to Woodstock, I became Hermana Solis's companion for the next 24 hours. She has been out for 14 months and grew up speaking Spanish and English. Besides being able to speak Spanish (something I quickly learned I am not good at), she is an amazing missionary! We got along really well, and even though I couldn't participate in most of the conversations we had while tracting, she still made me feel like I was being helpful. It was a blast to be her companion! On Saturday morning, we exchanged back to our normal companions and Sister Thorn and I got right to work!

Daylight Savings is a wonderful thing for missionaries because
it doesn't get dark until later, so we can tract until it is
almost time to go home, even though it is freezing!
I can't think of much else to tell you about this week, so I'll briefly tell you all about Georgia weather. It goes like this. Thursday morning was a beautiful, sunshiney day. Perfect short sleeve weather. Jump to 3 am on Friday. Sister Thorn and I both woke up to a thunder and lightning along with an absolute downpour. In fact, we had a power surge and our smoke alarm started going off to make things even more exciting! We opened some windows, made sure we weren't going to die in a fire, and waited for the lightning and thunder to move away before even trying to go back to sleep. Fun stuff, right? The next morning it was sprinkling but fairly warm out, and by Friday afternoon, the weather was downright beatiful with just a little bit of wind. By Sunday morning, the skies were completely clear and it was freezing. Literally. It has yet to warm up at all, and it is still very cold outside, but I'm sure by Thursday it will be sunshiney and warm again!

On a more spiritual note:  One evening this week, all of our plans had fallen through and Sister Thorn and I weren't really sure what to do. We had several ideas, but it was after dark, so our options were limited. We decided to pray to know what to do or where to go. After the prayer, the name of one of our investigators popped into my head. I told Sister Thorn my thoughts and she told me that nothing had come to her. She further explained that sometimes, the spirit doesn't speak to both companions and when he speaks to only one, it is one of the ways Heavenly Father tests our companionship to see if we trust each other and if we are truly working together. It was a powerful learning morment for me as I realized the power of the Spirit in directing our companionship. :)

With lots of love,
Sister Houghton
701 Downsby Lane
Apt. 333
Woodstock, GA
30189

No comments:

Post a Comment