Monday, February 5, 2018

Biking in the Rain

From 29 January 2018
Out tracting with Sister Wagner!

Hello from Winder!

Nothing to crazy had happened this week, so I'm just gong to tell you all some fun little details about my life as a missionary in Winder.

My companion, Sister Wagner, is from Boise, Idaho and only my second companion to be as tall as I am. She came out on her mission just 3 months after I did, so we have lots of mission stories to share back and forth. She sings like an angel and is amazingly diligent in getting work done. Plus, she is teaching me how to really study in the mornings. I love that I get to work with her this transfer!


Image result for winder, gaSo the first thing Sister Wagner get told me about Winder is that it is the meth capitol of Georgia. Woohoo! Fun times ahead, right? As far as missionary work goes, this area is actually hoppin'. We have a lovely long list of people to teach and a lot of people are actually home to answer their doors. Also, it turns out we actually cover 2 wards here! Each ward has a set of Elders, and we primarily work in Winder, but we also work with people in the Fort Yargo Ward on a referral basis. Mostly it's fun because we always have people to work with. Adding to the fun is the fact that we are in a 3-way car-share with all the Elders in our area, so most of the time, we are biking. Luckily we live pretty close to the church, library, downtown Winder, and pretty much all of the important places. Plus everything is relatively flat, so that's nice too. Because we don't have the car on Sundays and had to get to the building early for meetings yesterday, we biked in the rain to church. Honestly, I ended up being less wet than expected. However, by the time church was over, it was absolutely pouring and everybody we passed in the hallway asked if we were planning on biking home in the deluge. We told them all that we hadn't decided yet until some of them got together and found a ride for us before we could find it for ourselves. Moral of the story, this ward is the bomb-dot-com. Plus, pretty much everybody in our ward is somehow related to everybody else. #RealFamilyWard

On a more spiritual note, this week I have been learning about actively choosing to have charity for the people around you. As a missionary, I get to work with all sorts of people in all different stages of life and testimony. It is way too easy to let "the natural man" snap, but I have never yet regretted choosing to love someone instead. Test my theory and let me know what your experiences are. :)

Okay, so that's all I can think of to tell you about right now. I love you all and hope you are having a wonderful winter!

Love,
Sister Houghton
Winder, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment