Saturday, January 6, 2018

Missionary Holidays

From 1 January 2018
 
I got to hold a sugar glider (flying squirrel)
the other day at a member's home!


Well hello there! 

Between exchanges we went to get lunch with all the other sisters
(left to right around the circle: me, Sister Parsons, Sister Hansen,
Sister Evans, Hermana Kammerman, and Hermana Aranibar)
Between normal-people holidays and missionary holidays, it has been quite the week! 

As you can guess, the normal-people holidays I am referring to are Christmas, Boxing Day (I've heard it's a thing), and New Year's. As far as missionary work goes, not a whole lot was different because of those things. In fact, the only really unique thing about any one of those days was that I got to see and talk with my family! I loved every second of my 40 minutes, although it was a bit surreal. For those of you who don't know my family, you are missing out on some amazing people! Other than that, it was missionary work as usual on the holidays. 
From a few weeks ago) the Roswell Zone!
You may be wondering about these "missionary holidays" I mentioned, so let me explain myself. The first one we had was a zone conference on Wednesday! President Marsh's whole family was there to give us missionary advice after we had our usual trainings from the mission leadership in the morning and we finished the conference with some Christmas caroling. The other missionary holidays I am referring to are exchanges! I have found that going on exchange into other areas is a sort of holiday unto itself because, even though we are still doing missionary work the whole time, I can leave a significant portion of the stress of my own area (scheduling appointments, making phone calls, taking note of events, etc.) behind as I get to know a new area and a different missionary for the day! Plus, "miracles always happen during exchanges" (I don't remember who told me that early in my mission, but it is so true!). The particular exchanges I went on this week were in the southern-most part of the zone, in overlapping areas. The first was in the Norcross Spanish Branch that covers the bottom half of the stake and the second was in the Peachtree Corners Ward. I had fun biking in new areas and getting to practice my Spanish just a little bit, although I am not very brave about using what little I know.


 "Swim"! Featuring yours truly!
"No soliciting" featuring Sister Parsons
The rest of the week has been a blur of knocking on doors, meeting new people, and trying not to freeze in the bone-chilling cold of Georgia! Sister Parsons and I are continuing to see little miracles each day as we work with ward members and seek out those who are ready to receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that every person on earth needs the peace that comes from living Christ's gospel- that's why I am a missionary!

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic first week of 2018!

Love,
Sister Houghton



No comments:

Post a Comment